Are you going through or considering a divorce or separation?
Do you have questions over the process and how best to resolve any conflict?
Here at Godalming Family Mediation, we realise that going through a divorce or separation can be a stressful and emotional time and understanding how best to address issues may be difficult. This is why we have produced a helpful divorce and separation guide to help and support you.
The guide contains the following sections:
Part 1: Introduction
1. Is my relationship over?
2. “Why mediate” or “why not mediate”?
3. Should I instruct a solicitor either in parallel with mediation or instead of mediation?
4. I would rather have my day in court
Part 2: The Mediation Process
1. What is a “MIAM” and do I need one?
2. What do I do if my ex-partner has already contacted the mediator?
3. Should I start the full mediation process?
4. Should I consider co-mediation?
5. What are the costs involved?
6. What can I expect during the mediation meetings?
7. How do I choose a mediator?
Part 3: The Main Issues for Discussion
1. The future of the relationship
i. Discussing Separation
ii. The “D” word – Divorce!
2. The finances
i. Child maintenance
ii. Spousal maintenance
iii. The house, pensions and other assets
iv. Ensuring that you are able to make informed decisions
3. The Children
i. Working out the children’s arrangements
ii. Do the children take part in the mediation process?
4. The Importance of Communication
Part 4: Conclusion – Mediate first not last!
Flowchart for the options when considering a separation or divorce
I hope that you find this self-help guide useful and please let me know if you have any comments or questions.
Godalming Family Mediation